The Swarnajayanti Fellowship Scheme was started by the Government of India in 1997 on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of India ‘s independence. These prestigious fellowships are meant to encourage young scientist to undertake basic research in frontier areas of Science and Technology and achieve standards of excellence which are comparable to the best in the world. The fellowships are scientist specific and not institution specific, very selective and have close academic monitoring.
- Research Fellowship
- Science and Technology
- Government of India
- Young scientist in India
Swarnajayanti fellowships are open to outstanding Indian young scientist, in the age group of 30-40 years, with proven track record in six research areas that include: Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Geology, Biology and Engineering.
The selected candidates, after a few rounds of national level short-listing, are given an attractive fellowship and substantive financial support towards their research programme for a maximum period of five years. The fellowship will be provided in addition to the salary they draw from their parent Institution. In addition to fellowship, grants for equipments, computational facilities, consumables, contingencies, national and international travel and other special requirements, if any, will be covered based on merit. Scientists selected for the award will be allowed to pursue unfettered research with a freedom and flexibility in terms of expenditure as approved in the research plan. The project should contain innovative research idea and it should have a potential of making impact on R&D in the discipline.
Value of Scholarship
- A fellowship grant of Rs. 25, 000 per month for 5 years to those candidates who are not engaged in the regular course of employment.
- The fellowship grant is reduced to Rs. 10, 000 /-per month for candidates who are engaged in the regular course of employment.
- Financial help or aid in the form of grants for equipments, travel and communication will also be provided.
Swarnajayanti Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Swarnajayanti fellowships scheme provides financial help to an elite group of young scientists to carry out basic research work in the critical areas of science and technology.
The eligibility criteria under the Swarnajayanti Fellowship Scheme :
- The applicant should possess Ph.D in Science/ Engineering/ Medicine and should not draw his Fellowship from any other Scheme of GOI.
- Scientists should be active in the frontier area of science and engineering with outstanding contributions in the form of research publications and/ or patents, peer recognition from scientific community, awards etc. in his/ her area of research.
- The fellowship is open to Indian Nationals residing in India or abroad.
- The scientists from abroad can choose to work at any Science and Technology institution within India. However, he/ she will have to submit a letter from Head of the institution at which they wish to pursue research, stating that administrative and basic infrastructural support to facilitate research will be provided.
- The institute should also undertake financial and other management responsibilities of the project throughout the five year term in case fellowship is awarded to the scientist.
- The age of the candidates should be between 30-40 years.
Application & Selection for Swarnajayanti Scholarship
Eligible candidates need to send the applications for the ‘Swarnajayanti Fellowships’ in the described format (refer website ww.dst.gov.in).The candidates may be required to submit further additional information as required and present the project idea before final selection.
The selection procedure will include consideration at various stages. The Department constitutes a Subject Committee which screens applications received and calls the screened in applicants for presentation. The candidates short listed after presentation by the Subject Committees will have to make presentation to the National Core Committee of Experts which gives its final recommendations. An empowered Committee of Secretaries will make the final selection based on the recommendation of National Core Committee.
Scientists selected for the award should have accomplished innovative original research in frontier areas of science and technology.
Swarnajayanti Scholarship Contact
Department of Science & Technology
New Mehrauli Road
New Delhi-110 016